PDA

View Full Version : Market Boom

Tygert
22.02.2013, 23:39
I don't know why, but nearly all the market deals were sold out a few minutes ago. I don't know if that was a technical glitch, or that someone or some people bought every bid offered.

kazzman
23.02.2013, 00:04
i dont know whats going on either..without the market im at a standstill

penelopae
23.02.2013, 00:34
Pure conjecture and conspiracy theory here:

a) Somebody is trying to corner the market on all items and will relist the items at inflated prices after driving up demand.

b) The developers are working on the Market and will have the items back up and available soon.

c) The Market feature is suffering some sort of issue again and is broken.

d) Aliens have invaded and are teleporting all of our Market items to a secret Sasquatch location.

e) or... It is the WEEKEND and every money-hacker, cheater-haxor and kid-with-mommy's-credit-card on the planet are all buying up stuff faster than it can be put in.

f) *Your own conspiracy theory here*

kazzman
23.02.2013, 00:40
i hope they fix it soon cause now im bored and am forced to spend time with my family:eek:

SacTownSue
23.02.2013, 00:48
I'm noticing the same thing. Almost no tomatoes on offer or potatoes. Tried to buy some wheat but got beat to the punch every time.

I'll just go back to growing my own. If someone's playing games with the market I'm not going to join in.

penelopae
23.02.2013, 00:50
LOL... poor YOU...

Oh wait... maybe THEY wish the Market was open too!!!!

Enjoy the time with family, truly that is more important and longer lasting than anything you can get from a virtual video game.

Just work on your city, or find something to do that is not dependant on the market. Good luck and best wishes neighbor.

djmoody
23.02.2013, 01:03
Looked pretty fishy to me.

Tried to buy stuff and couldn't get any orders off at all and I can normally buy stuff quite successfully.

And the rate that we went from 20/30 screens to nothing was extremely fast. Really didn't look like natural market conditions.

jeanne411
23.02.2013, 01:23
Everything I list for sale is gone within seconds. Weird.

1cadmium1
23.02.2013, 01:59
I'm stuck too - only just started and I've got a quest to buy wood in the marketplace, but every offer I click on I get the 'offer already sold' message. Guess I will just have to keep trying and cross my fingers that I get there first eventually!

Zhang1
23.02.2013, 03:29
Dang. I should have noticed this sooner. This is a perfect time to sell my excess stuff, however it happened.

penelopae
23.02.2013, 03:58
I'm stuck too - only just started and I've got a quest to buy wood in the marketplace, but every offer I click on I get the 'offer already sold' message. Guess I will just have to keep trying and cross my fingers that I get there first eventually!

Don't stress on those quests Cadmium, they do not go away; you will not miss out or lose them.

Just play on, the Market will get fixed. Don't let that be a show-stopper for you.

1cadmium1
23.02.2013, 05:30
Don't stress on those quests Cadmium, they do not go away; you will not miss out or lose them.

Just play on, the Market will get fixed. Don't let that be a show-stopper for you.

Thanks for the advice - I was worried I would lose out on the quest if it timed out or something! I will just have to learn to be more patient lol

penelopae
23.02.2013, 06:22
You are quite welcome Cadmium, and welcome to Rising Cities!

This game will indeed require patience, it is pretty slow to play.

Here's a little tip that may help, something I discovered...

Before you log out for the night, or for an extended time... start production of long-time items such as Wheat.

A hypothetical example where you have 4 Farms and 4 Lumber Mills:

Say you log in after dinner in the evening and plan to play for a few hours and then log off for the night.

Produce only Lumber in the Mill and only Tomatoes on the Farms. These are quick cooldowns, you will produce quite a lot of these items in the couple hours you play. Or mix it up a bit. I run Potatoes in one Farm and Beams in most of my Mills. In the rest of them I'll run Lumber and Tomatoes. Beams are on a 1 hour cooldown, so even if playing for just a few hours I can get 2 batches run in a couple of the mills.

Now, before you log off for the night, produce Beams in the Mills and Potatoes or Wheat in the farms. These items have long cooldowns, and will still run the clock while you are logged out.

The wheat, if I recall correctly has a 6.5 hour cooldown. You don't want to tie up your farm while playing online for that, save that production for when you will be away from the game for greater than the 6.5 hours it takes to make the wheat.

Log back in for a few minutes in the morning, collect your rents and Wheat and Beams or Potatoes or whatever you ran. Start those again and log off for the day. Go to school or work or whatever, and that evening your long-term production stuff will be finished again.

This is just one way to optimize your time. Run short-term stuff while you are there to babysit it, and run long-term stuff when you know you will be away for a long time.

Make sense?

And of course, adjust that to suit the level of items you are working on. The example here is for newer players like myself in the 9-13 level range. (Currently I am level 13)

Hope that helps, best wishes, and most of all, Have Fun!

djmoody
23.02.2013, 11:28
I see market is offline now.

This means either that there was a bug in the market (more than possible given the problems earlier this week).

Or the game is under attack from real world trader bots.

Wonder which is it.

I know this mornings I was hanging back on the 5/6 page of bricks (high price) and refreshing and trying to buy for ages w/o getting a single brick. There is no way that is natural market forces - something major is up.

1cadmium1
23.02.2013, 12:16
That is great advice, thank you so much penelopae! I'm still trying to get my head around it all so it is very much appreciated. Best wishes to you too :)

Oh and by the way, I just finally managed to buy some wood - hurray!

jeanne411
23.02.2013, 13:54
Everything is way overpriced. It would be wise of us all to wait on buying until prices settle from their artificially high level.

There is no doubt in my mind that someone let loose a bot to jack up prices. I saw it first in the tomato market, although I did not know what was happening at the time. Tomatoes have always sold for 1 cc per, but all of a sudden it was next to impossible to get tomatoes at that price. Once in a while I was lucky and snagged some at the regular price, but 90% of the time "someone" beat me to the purchase. Now, tomatoes sell at a LOW of 3 cc per, which used to be the high.

This is a lesson in how the "invisible hand" (Adam Smith) can fail. The supply/demand dynamic failed. It shows why regulation is a necessary part of a market economy - the market does not regulate itself when there are rogue forces at work and too many players in the market to realize what is happening and put a stop to it early on.

It will be interesting to see if prices ever settle back down to the old normal levels. We may be stuck with inflated prices from now on, which means we have to work harder to get what we need.

SacTownSue
23.02.2013, 16:56
Interesting post, jeanne. Like I said I don't want to play that game. I went back on a little while ago and some of the lower, saner prices had returned. It was still difficult to buy. I don't buy much at Market. What I buy I usually use. Not to resell at inflated prices. Or I just grow my own.

penelopae
23.02.2013, 17:24
Folks usually jump to a conclusion about stuff to include some sinister causality, it is human nature to be suspicious of an evil plot.

We all know that script-kiddies and hackers will try to disrupt stuff, or gain unfair advantage. Again, I suppose human nature of sorts.

Unless there is a means to trade currency or items between players, there shouldn't be a market for ill-gotten gains.

If that is the case, then what motivation would anyone have for hacking or massive gains from the Market?

I suppose massively rich accounts could be sold... That's the only scenerio I can come up with to support reason for such activity. And that is easy enough to foil and track by the service provider. It's a darn shame that every game on the planet must thwart baddies as a part of doing business.

A non-baddie theory could include that the market state of late was merely an attempt by the developers to balance the market. Many folks have been complaining on the forums about not being able to buy stuff, being beat to a purchase every time. Perhaps the developers were attempting to alleviate that with some sort of system to help balance the load. While implementing such a system, some amount of fiddling with the ratios, aggressiveness, and numbers would need to be done. Thus, the wild fluctuations and craziness in the market.

Who knows? I'm just thinking out loud here.

I think the important thing to note is that the developers are quick to respond and get things back to running properly. If a serious issue is resolved within a day, that is pretty good attention and service, I would think.

Anyway, just some things to ponder as you surf the forums and play the game :p

penelopae
23.02.2013, 17:43
...I don't want to play that game....
...I don't buy much at Market. What I buy I usually use. Not to resell at inflated prices. Or I just grow my own.

I have not gotten into the marketing-for-profit aspect of this game very much either Sue. But I am glad to see that it is a viable and playable thing for Rising Cities. It adds another layer of playability to the game.

Some folks like marketing, they play it like the stock market and enjoy that aspect of game play.

Even for a player that may not start out as a market-master may find it a great way to extend playability. Especially at end-game stages of play. Once your map is maxed out and you have gained every possible building and feature... other than the contests... what is left to do in the game? Marketing!

I used to play WoW (World of Warcraft). I ran a successful raiding guild for over 3 years. We maintained an active roster of 600-700 members. We gained realm-first achievements and did quite well for a guild on our realm. My character was max-geared, and had all the coolest stuff... what was left for me as a player after all of that? Marketing!

Yep, when I wasn't recruiting new members, training raiders, organiizing multiple raid teams every night, running the guild or grinding my own toons, I would play the market on the side. And I must admit, it was fun and added enjoyment to my game-play experience.

Anyway... One of the signs of a great game is the ability to play it in a wide variety of ways. Individual play style and preference is a good thing.

Best wishes,
- Mayor Pen

JoolsTwo
23.02.2013, 18:21
it's all about supply & demand, as there weren't many offers - the price rises. When the market is flooded with goods - the price drops.

If you don't like the price, don't trade them;)

jeanne411
23.02.2013, 18:40
it's all about supply & demand, as there weren't many offers - the price rises. When the market is flooded with goods - the price drops.

This was not a case of players en masse deciding to withhold offers, resulting in an imbalance between supply and demand. The supply was there. But the demand was artificial.

The market will not be "flooded with goods" except at an inflated price. Based on my quick-and-dirty analysis (I scrolled through the offers posted for various products very unscientifically) I see that many players will lose, having offered large amounts at high prices that now will not sell, because the price was set artifically high. They will ultimately lose the CC they had to pay.

Fortunately this is only a game, but in real life, this pretty close to what happened when the housing market collapsed here in the US, in places like San Bernardino County (California) and Las Vegas, where housing prices were artificially high.

JoolsTwo
23.02.2013, 18:44
sorry to disagree, but this morning there was less than 100 offers on ALL goods and some were completely sold out, so the demand was obviously higher than the supply. This evening that is back up to a couple of thousand on the more popular items, the most expensive ones of which will never sell.

Take a look at the market on farmerama as an example, yesterday most markets had several thousand eggs trading at 300CC, as soon as an event started that required them they were sold out in about 10 minutes and were then selling instantly at prices in excess of of 800.

Trading effectively is an art ;)

jeanne411
23.02.2013, 19:25
sorry to disagree

No need to be sorry. Respectful disagreement is democratic, which IMO is good.

but this morning there was less than 100 offers on ALL goods and some were completely sold out, so the demand was obviously higher than the supply. This evening that is back up to a couple of thousand on the more popular items, the most expensive ones of which will never sell.

Some players reported that the market was down for a short while earlier today. I'm guessing that happened between your "this morning" and your "this evening," and that during that time the bot was disabled by BP. No bot to buy everything up, and the offers became available to us human players again.

Take a look at the market on farmerama as an example, yesterday most markets had several thousand eggs trading at 300CC, as soon as an event started that required them they were sold out in about 10 minutes and were then selling instantly at prices in excess of of 800.

Exactly.

There is an event on Farmerama which requires eggs, hence the increased demand. Most Farmerama players are participating in the event. They all want eggs, and milk, and parrot feathers, and whatever they can get to complete the quests. That is a natural demand, resulting a natural price increases due to inherently limited supply - because the only people selling are the ones who get a kick out of selling at high prices due to increased demand. the rest of us are trying to complete the quest. But on Farmerama, prices on CAC did not rise. Prices on corn did not rise. Prices on horses did not rise. And so on...

Here on Rising Cities, prices rose on just about everything. But there's no event going on that requires virtually every player to demand large quantities of nearly all products. It's very different from what is going on in the Farmerama markets.

Dollars2021
23.02.2013, 19:44
this is why I have 8 farms and make all my own stuff. :D Sinse I am running on IE I can't even access the market so this is a moot point for me.

penelopae
23.02.2013, 19:55
Hi Dollars,

Using Internet Explorer should not prevent you from being able to use the Market.

I use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera on Windows 7.

Firefox, Chrome and Opera are all free and easy to download. You could use any of those free.

Perhaps in your IE, you need to update to the latest version of Flash or check your internet options security settings or something, in order to allow the Market to work. But truly, using IE should not prevent use of the Market.

I just logged on with IE to test that, and had no issues.
Maybe you need to update IE to the latest version?
Version 9 is the current one.

You can check the version by using the little cog-wheel in the extreme upper right side of the browser screen, click that and choose "About Internet Explorer"... the version will be displayed there for you.

Good luck and best wishes.

jeanne411
23.02.2013, 20:25
p.s. Mayor Pen I love your avatar!

penelopae
23.02.2013, 20:36
I'm a Steamroller Baby!

A churnin' urn of Burnin' Funk!

*James Taylor reference :p

Thanks Jeanne!

Oh wait... it's not a steamroller... OK..

I'm a Dozer baby!

I stealed it from a screenshot of my wonderful lil' city.

I'm not sure if there is some subliminal Freudian meaning behind that or not... but feel free to apply one or suggest what it can mean.

My signature seems to have a typographic error as well... that should read, "Send PITCHER of Beer"...

Except for that I don't really drink beer... But, Send picture (pitcher) of Mike's Hard Limeade didn't rhyme?

Hugs Jeanne! and Cheers!

djmoody
23.02.2013, 21:51
sorry to disagree, but this morning there was less than 100 offers on ALL goods and some were completely sold out, so the demand was obviously higher than the supply

It was absolutely NOT natural supply and demand. Totally promise you. If you read my posts in this thread for evidence you will see why.

They then took the market down twice and on the second reboot - IMMEDIATELY you were able to buy stuff. Before you couldn't buy stuff on the 5/6th screen because it would disappear. Normal market here NEVER behaves like that.

If you still aren't convinced then please explain why there was a tenfold increase in demand for ALL items ALL at the same time and everything got sold out........

Oraqlet
23.02.2013, 23:15
I agree with Jeanne411. There was some strange things happening. The prices of all goods where driven up. Starting just before 1:00 in the morning and ending at 13:00 today when BP closed the market at 2 different instances with about 5 minutes apart.

During this whole time it was absolutely impossible to buy any stock at all but you could sell at very good and improving prices. After the correction at 13:00 today the markets slowly have gone back against normal prices.

My time is CET.

PirateLee
24.02.2013, 07:36
Over the past several weeks you all saw that we jumped to 500,000 active accounts, this in turn jumped towards a million within less that 2 weeks.
Changes in volume like this are unusual and have had some odd effects on the market and have also caused some breakdowns (which we all hope are behind us now).

The team or watching this daily to try and make sure the mechanics work as they should but all in all it only adds to the games overall growth and future.

I will close this now as not much more can be said but for the record I have linked this topic to this weeks "Dev report" so they can see all your comments.:D:D:D