Dear forum reader!

If you want to get actively involved in the Forum and participate in the discussions, or want to start your own thread or topic, you will have to log into the game first. We are looking forward to your next visit in our Forum! Please be sure to register if you do not own a game account. CLICK HERE
Go Back   Darkorbit > DarkOrbit History > Archives > Archive 2011 > User to User 2011
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2011, 20:47   #1
-Wingm8-
Board Admin

Default ygvb: 3D blender

Hey ygvb,

i'm still using 3D blender, and its going forward i have a question tho.
When i got everything i need and saves the file - i can only save it as a blend. file.

what do i do from here? and what program can i use to finish it off with the animations and so on.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08.11.2011, 00:10   #2
ygvb
Board Veteran

To render an image of you're 3D file, point the camera at your 3D model, then on the top of the page where it says 'Render', click that then choose 'Render Image' from the drop down image. When Blender finishes rendering press F3 and save the image. This creates a .png image of your 3D model. You can press Esc to get out of the render window or to cancel rendering.
Making a .GIF is a little more involved, first you have to render out all the frames of your animation into your project folder. In the render settings under output (located in your properties panel), click the file icon next to the '/tmp\' then choose the file directory where you want it to put the frame images, next be sure you have set your start and end frame, then on the top of the page click 'Render' then 'Render Animation' (or press Ctrl F12), when it finishes you should have a set of images in the directory you specified. Now all you have to do is turn these images into a .GIF, I use Beneton Movie GIF for this, it's a fairly easy program to use, just open the frame images up in Benton Movie GIF (you can hold down on shift or ctrl to open multiple images at once), change the settings to your liking and save.
I am using Blender 2.6 right now if you are using an earlier version, it may be a little different.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask questions anytime, I'll be glad to help out the best I can.

ygvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08.11.2011, 06:10   #3
-Wingm8-
Board Admin

thanks alot, i also use the 2.6 release.
Old 10.11.2011, 21:09   #4
-Wingm8-
Board Admin

Well, it seems as i have a few problems - When i render the frames, they don't show up
and i did choose the folder. could it be because i'm not using python?
Old 10.11.2011, 21:53   #5
ygvb
Board Veteran

Hmm, if you used 'Render Animation' or Ctrl+F12 try looking in your c:/tmp folder (this is were Blender places the frames by default).
If you rendered a single frame (F12 or 'Render Image'), you have to press F3 to save it.

Old 10.11.2011, 22:00   #6
-Wingm8-
Board Admin

ah, i see that - even tho i changed the folder it still uses the default. now i atleast know where they're ending up
Old 10.11.2011, 22:15   #7
ygvb
Board Veteran

Yeah, I worked out of that folder for awhile before I figured out how to change where the stuff goes XD.

Blender may write over those files next time you render something of the same format though, so if you are going to work from the tmp folder, be sure to copy/paste the files where you want them before rendering anything else.

To change where Blender saves the frames, click the button below the red arrow shown below, you will have to do this with every new blender file, and be sure to change it after each new render unless you want it to overwrite the last files.

Last edited by ygvb : 10.11.2011 at 22:17.
Old 10.11.2011, 22:24   #8
-Wingm8-
Board Admin

Thanks a bunch ygvb - its quite helpfull.
Old 10.11.2011, 22:28   #9
ygvb
Board Veteran

Your welcome, glad I could help. Feel free to ask questions anytime.