Darkorbit

Darkorbit (http://en.board.bigpoint.com/darkorbit/index.php)
-   Speaker's Corner 2012 (http://en.board.bigpoint.com/darkorbit/forumdisplay.php?f=2516)
-   -   How to reduce lag (http://en.board.bigpoint.com/darkorbit/showthread.php?t=423833)

-C-M-1-[AV/PT][FTD] 17.02.2012 15:50

How to reduce lag

Hi everyone,

It has come to my attention that there are many of you that complain about the lag that you "think" is server related. Most of the time it is not server related.
The reason why it is not mostly server related is because the servers can handle the traffic easily as they have a connection from either a Tier 1 or Tier 2 internet service provider.

Right, there are a few different kinds of lag and I am going to explain two of them. One of them is Graphical Lag and the other is Network Lag.

Now before you start complaining about anything, I DID experiment with it myself so don't say that anything I say will be useless as this may help you in the future. All screen shots were done from my laptop and I am located in the UK.

Graphical Lag

Graphical lag is basically when your FPS (Frames Per Second) goes down to like 10 FPS or maybe a bit higher or lower. This is because you either have the game quality settings too high or you have unused programs running in the background.

Sometimes your computer can run tasks that can be CPU heavy at times without you realizing it. You can free up your system resources by closing any unused programs or kill any unused processes via the task manager. For Linux users it will be in System Monitor.
Sometimes, flash can be resource heavy at times as you will get more and more graphics being loaded up onto your screen at once. Too much graphics will increase CPU load and RAM usage.

Freeing up more system resources and lowering the quality will help increase game performance and decrease in graphical lag.

Another way you can increase your FPS is to put your back page onto like your clan page or any page that has no flash based objects but clan page is more recommended as its just text. Having your back page on the shop page, home page or anything with flash objects will hurt your FPS.

Network Lag

Network lag can occur when either you have very little bandwidth available, many users on your connection at a time or you have a few programs like TeamSpeak 3 that are latency heavy.

To find out if your connection is fine, use the "ping" command in your command prompt. You will need to do "ping us1.darkorbit.bigpoint.com".

If your ping is like 150ms or lower then your connection should be ok. If it’s between 150-300ms, it is still playable but with a bit of lag. Any more will result in lag.

Another command that you can use is "tracert". This can help you where the lag is being originated. In command prompt, do the following command "tracert us1.darkorbit.bigpoint.com".

If your connection to your ISP is less that 20ms then you are fine. If it is between 20-50ms then your connection might have some interference somewhere or you are on a shared connection which could cause a bit of lag as there could be many users on the connection. Any more will then result in too much interference on your connection, too much traffic or your connection is very slow.

Then, you will need to see if the connection from your ISP to the servers’ ISP is ok. If the ping gap from your ISP to the servers’ ISP is small (maybe 20-50ms between them for example) then the connection to the servers’ ISP is fine. If the gap is 50-100ms then the game will still be playable with minimal lag so it shouldn’t be an issue. Anymore then that is where the lag is being originated. Since I have to connect to the servers overseas, the lag is originated between my ISP and the servers’ ISP.

This next part will be very interesting for and it will stop the complaints about the “lag” you think the servers are producing. If the connection from the servers’ ISP to the servers is 20-50ms, then there are no issues as the connection needs to very fast to handle the traffic and 99.9% of the time, it is normally around that area. If the connection from ISP to server is around 50-100ms then there might be a bit of lag on the servers’ end. Anymore then you can file a complaint about the lag as the datacentre that contains the servers will need to sort out the connection on their end.

The diagram below is basically a chart on what is the best connection to play with no or minimal lag. The diagram is also based off the screenshot of my tracert command in the command prompt.

You <--- 0-30ms Delay ---> Your ISP <--- 0-100ms Delay ---> Servers’ ISP <--- 0-30ms Delay ---> Servers

This diagram is for people that are either close to the datacenter or overseas and is the recommended connection for stable gameplay. The ping function just shows the total delay from you to the server.

Tracert is the breakdown of the delay which is basically what the diagram above is. To improve your connection, you can either free up bandwidth by stopping any downloads, close down any applications that are using the connection like TeamSpeak and any other latency heavy programs or wait till other users on your network have stopped using the connection. If anyone on your network is browsing the web, using Facebook then that’s fine. If they are on YouTube or any other website that involves streaming then you will need to wait for them to stop or live with it.

If you get a “Request Time Out”, then you have a break in your connection meaning that the connection to the game is being rerouted through another connection. This can also increase in delay/ping and may start to see lag.

If you have a connection of maybe 30Mb or more, then some streaming can be tolerable but it can still hurt your latency as streaming is still downloading and most of the time, downloading takes up most of your bandwidth.

Tip: Remember, your connection to the game can go either via the fastest route, reliable route or the route with less or no traffic.

So, to recap after all that, to keep a stable, lag free or minimal lag connection, do the following:-

• Close any latency heavy programs (can cause the delay to increase if left open)
• Stop any downloads & streaming (Frees up more bandwidth to improve latency and decrease delay)
• Set graphics to low unless you have sufficient system resources that can cope (Low settings is mostly recommended)
• Close any unused programs (frees up system resources and gives flash more room to breathe increasing game performance)
• Go to clan page when not using the back page (increases game performance since clan page has no flash based objects)
• Update Flash Player
• Update Browser & JavaScript
• Clear Browser Cache (Allows new data to be downloaded increasing performance)
• Clear Flash Cache (Basically the same as clearing browser cache)
• Get a better connection (consider as last resort)
• Format and do a clean Operating System install (consider as last resort)
• Get a better computer (consider as last resort)

I have written this for your own needs to help you get a lag free game play. If this worked for you and helped improve your gameplay by any means then you’re welcome to post any positive feedback. If you wish to add any more to this then post it as feedback so I can add it to the post and I’ll give credit to you for it. Any negative feedback that have something similar to either “It doesn’t work”, “Its always the servers”, etc. will be treated as either you haven’t read the post fully, too lazy to do anything or just saying it for the sake of it because you like to complain.

Remember, everything I provided for you was based on an experiment I performed. You can’t argue with the experiment. If you don’t believe me then try it for yourself.
If any mods find this useful and it works for you then you are welcome to provide any feedback as well and sticky this thread.

If there are absolutely no issues at all, then you can file a complaint about the servers being laggy. If the servers are laggy, they could be experiencing very heavy loads which can cause then to timeout.

Thank you.

pecanin 17.02.2012 17:31

If you wish to help us then try to do so in less than 40 000 words

Best way to reduce laf is to play game other than DO

-C-M-1-[AV/PT][FTD] 17.02.2012 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecanin (Post 2500236)
If you wish to help us then try to do so in less than 40 000 words

Best way to reduce laf is to play game other than DO

1,365 words to be exact. This was written in more detail to help give you a better undertanding.

pecanin 17.02.2012 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by -C-M-1-[AV/PT][FTD] (Post 2500268)
1,365 words to be exact. This was written in more detail to help give you a better undertanding.

1300 words 2 many :)

rooster12 17.02.2012 19:21

here you are explained in a more user friendly manner , by a past game admin on the forums .

Hi there,

Please, let me explain in maybe a slight bit more detail at what could be the problem and in this case what seems to be the problem as to the printscreen you posted [ HERE ].

What you are describing seems like what many people would call lag, and it seems the problem is with the three vital processes of your gameplay. It could be one process that is the problem, it could be two, it could be them all...what we'll set out to do is find out which.

The order of process is usually:
Your PC > Flash player > Our servers > Flash player > Your PC
These three processes of gameplay are:
  1. Your PC
    • The part of the process that is your PC is when you click on the spacemap or press any corresponding buttons that will activate an action on the spacemap.
  2. Flash Player
    • The part of the process that is the flash player is when the flash player reads the actions that you take (E.g clicking to move) and the flash player turns them into real time actions you can see (E.g you actually moving)
  3. Our servers
    • The part of the process that is our servers is when the servers read data provided by the flash player and connect them to our server (E.g ship speeds connected with the correct values).
So what we know is that Your PC is the start of the process, if the PC mixes up data or cannot have the data supplied to the flash player fast enough you will end up with some lag, also if your PC does not reveive the data fast enough then it will most likley result in lag.
So to reduce lag you are asked to:
Doing the above would reduce lag for those that are having a good amount of it, however there is more that you can do:This should be enough to make sure that anything you can do to reduce lag, is done.

We also know that Flash player is another process in the three that are used.
The flash player is a vital part to make sure the game operates, as is the PC and the servers, and hence why we focus on people to work on that part as much as they possibly can.
The things you can do to improve your Flash player performance is:
This should be as much as you could possibly do to improve the flash player performance on your side of things.

Then another part of the process, often the most blamed by players, is our servers.
Practically, there is nothing much on your side that you can do to improve our servers however if they are experiencing some problems you can feel free to [ Contact support ] who will look at the problems and see if there is anything that can be done to improve the performance of the servers as it is.

Now onto why this problem looks to have been caused, and this seems to be that you (your PC) see that you have over a sum of 50,000 HitPoints, and your flash player continues playing with those 50,000 HitPoints - however in real time the server figures out mathmatically with data provided that you should have less than that and will deduct them. If the flash player responds, it will put the numbers down on your screen, simple. If the flash player does not respond, it may give you the connection dropped logo simply because it has not caught up with the hitpoints being deducted.

When you reach 0 or under that amount of hitpoints to the server, you are automatically taken from the map that you are on (or as some call it disconnected). If the flash player responds, you will be shown an explosion animation and you will see you have been destroyed.
Either way, you will have been destroyed.

If however you take the steps above I am sure that this will be a thing of a rare occurance, if any occurance at all.

Regards,

Burned

didn;t count how many words he used , but makes more sense to me sorry .

whitlockbr 18.02.2012 01:36

To the OP:

An apt description of lag. Don't let ol pecanin get to you he's jaded by support interaction. It fully vets the pipeline and the user side computer. I am getting a nice big blank spot when it comes to the servers though. I would imagine that the 'universal problems' might be caused by programming faux pas, 'memory leakage'(don't have a great swag on how that works, do you?), or even poor equipment setup on the server side.

If you would I might like to see what you can come up with from BP, I understand it's 90% of the time on the user side or in the pipeline itself but really there is server side problems that look like lag.

Boots

pecanin 18.02.2012 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitlockbr (Post 2501149)
To the OP:

An apt description of lag. Don't let ol pecanin get to you he's jaded by support interaction. It fully vets the pipeline and the user side computer. I am getting a nice big blank spot when it comes to the servers though. I would imagine that the 'universal problems' might be caused by programming faux pas, 'memory leakage'(don't have a great swag on how that works, do you?), or even poor equipment setup on the server side.

If you would I might like to see what you can come up with from BP, I understand it's 90% of the time on the user side or in the pipeline itself but really there is server side problems that look like lag.

Boots

Not jaded m8

just aware that excuses that are thrown at players about lag are fantasy

when in this game i have lag then nothing helps and at same time i can for example play other browser games like Runescape with no lag at all ,Runescape is far more complex game than DO so how is it that me and many more get lag at same time and we are told "it is our fault".

Have been singing about Ram Leak for while now and still DO throws another excuse "browser related"

whatever problems user has that are connected to DO they will find excuse that will blame user

Right now Gates are freezing for everybody - DO's fault
Game itself freezes all the time- DO's fault

if you ask support about these two alone you will be given same short shrift "clear cache"

Current lag is related to script DO is running 24/7

whitlockbr 18.02.2012 04:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecanin (Post 2501155)
Not jaded m8

just aware that excuses that are thrown at players about lag are fantasy

when in this game i have lag then nothing helps and at same time i can for example play other browser games like Runescape with no lag at all ,Runescape is far more complex game than DO so how is it that me and many more get lag at same time and we are told "it is our fault".

Have been singing about Ram Leak for while now and still DO throws another excuse "browser related"

whatever problems user has that are connected to DO they will find excuse that will blame user

Right now Gates are freezing for everybody - DO's fault
Game itself freezes all the time- DO's fault

if you ask support about these two alone you will be given same short shrift "clear cache"

Oh I know there are problems, but I was trying to see how much the op knew about them. I figured he did such an eloquent job with lag(much better than I could have done.. and replete with trcrt and ping), maybe he could do a good job with describing the foul programing, leaks, ect...

Hey can you aptly describe what a memory leak is?? I've looked it up and seems like an infinite loop that takes more and more memory as it goes on till even the CRAY is crying uncle.. I don't think that really sums it up though...

Boots

XenoPhobicUK 20.02.2012 20:21

While some users may not be au fait with how there pc's work I think you'll find many of us do.
My games been unplayable for a good few days, tested my connection with pingtest and got an A rated line 14ms ping no packet loss and 0 jitter.
My pc is manyfold more than needed for playing the game I get 100 fps plus on games like mw3 bf3.
So please don't try and tell me its down to my isp or lack of computer hardware, unless you think I might need a 1 Gb/s line and a deep blue computer sat in my basement, its obvious the problems are server related.

XenoPhobicUK 20.02.2012 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecanin (Post 2501155)
Not jaded m8

The memory leak is with all browsers ie, ff, safari, opera and chrome, so yep you hit the nail on the head BP= blame the users as always.