Dear forum reader!

If you want to get actively involved in the Forum and participate in the discussions, or want to start your own thread or topic, you will have to log into the game first. We are looking forward to your next visit in our Forum! Please be sure to register if you do not own a game account. CLICK HERE
Go Back   Battlestar Galactica Online > Battlestar Galactica Online - Archive > Archive > General Discussion and Questions
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 17.11.2011, 19:21   #1
redeye2020
Forum Duke

Default War Raider (Viper Mk7) vs Heavy Raider (Raptor) FR

I've been a dedicated Strike pilot since I started playing, except for the Adv. Banshee I outfitted to help out with fleet battles.
So I've FINALLY done it! I've saved enough Cubits to buy the Heavy Raider FR!
Or...I could use that money to buy the War Raider.
Plus, I'm only about 5K Merits shy of being able to upgrade the War Raider to Advanced.
I know the specs on paper between the 2, but I want to hear from those of you who have seat time with both (or just an opinion).
What have you been able to do with/against each and in what scenario?

Adv WR
5 Weapon Slots. Sweet! But is it worth the Energy drain?
3 Hull Slots. Nice! Especially considering you start out with 720 HP.
3 Engine Slots. 2 less than the Adv Raider. Hmmmm.
3 Computers. Definitely better than only 2.

FR
3 Weapon Slots. Is it enough?
5 Computer slots. I LOVE the edge I get from Elect Support in my Adv Heavy Raider.
1 Hull. Ouch! High level DC Packs? HP is only 650.
4 Engine Slots. With 4 Engines, I could go all Avoidance or install 2 Boosters with my 2 overlapping RCS Slides.
Coupled with my Harpy, I could easily have a straight line sustained speed of 110.

I see the different roles these 2 birds could play. But what's YOUR experience or opinion?
Old 17.11.2011, 20:51   #2
Challenger1978
Junior Expert

Get the advanced war raider and become a DEMI GOD it is is an extremely good ship you will never regret it. The FR is great to but its more of a support ship and unless you want to be that guy all the time you'll get much more use out of an advanced warraider.

Old 17.11.2011, 21:04   #3
BFM_Cool
Forum-Greenhorn

I agree with Challenger. If you are already a dedicated strike pilot you will definitely be more happy with the war raider and if you are that close to advancing it than that is what I would do. The Heavy FR is not a dog fighting ship. You will be at a disadvantage right out of the gate in any battle. The FR roll is to support groups of ships. War Raider all the way . You will LOVE that thing advanced.
Faction: Cylon
Level: 132 (Current)
Favorite Ships: Advanced War Raider, Liche, Advanced Fenrir
Stats: Who cares SILENCE!!! I KILL YOU!!!!
Old 17.11.2011, 21:14   #4
Luno
Board Veteran

if you want to kill people get the WR, if you want to fly support for a group get the FR.
Old 17.11.2011, 21:27   #5
Ashicus79
Forum Pro

Cool FR is underestimated

The FR is under estimated by a lot of players, it's actually a REALLY good dog fighter, the debuffs and buffs combo make it DEADLY I fly Raptor (dedicated raptor wrangler) and I tried an experiment lastnigt, 2 damage buffs, 2 Avionics debuffs, 1 Avoidance debuff.... chewed through strikes like a hot knife through butter... it's not to be underestimated... 3 "P" SR cannons, 2 gyros, 2 RCS Ductings.... it's a real nightmare for people as it turns like a damn viper but my GODS it's evil with it's EW mwuhahahahahahahahaha

"Raptor Flight Manual 2.0" a beginners guide to flying the humble Raptor
"Rhino Flight Manual 1.0" A basic guide to flying the Rugged Rhino
"Strike Piloting 101" a useful guide with hints and tricks for flying your strikes.
Old 17.11.2011, 21:27   #6
seraphineeee
Someday Author

If you like straight up dogfighing, I'd agree with the guys above to get the WR.However, the Heavy Raider FR can indeed hold it's own as well. While not as nimble and doesn't have as many hitpoints, it has more engine slots and more computer slots. I've found it's the easiest strike to kill lines (easiest, not fastest) - it takes a little longer while because only 3 guns, but running rcs avoidance on all engines and having multiple avoidance buffs (and additional energy packs) and a dc pack on a hull if you do get hit will usually help with that. All that said, strike vs strike, WR is, imho, the most efficient cylon strike and can, depending on the build, win against any other strike, specially advanced with an added gun. Heavy Raider FR shines in fleet battles, but seeing as you already have an dedicated ship for that (the Banshee), I'd say you would be happier getting the War Raider and Advancing it.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers

Last edited by seraphineeee : 17.11.2011 at 21:29.
Old 17.11.2011, 21:59   #7
Charlie81
Forum Freak

The 5 guns on the War Raider may have quite a bit in terms of power drain, but that's easily solved. There's a certain module (hint hint) which works kinda like a DC pack for energy, which I hardly see anyone use, and it is a lifesaver when engaging larger targets.

The FR is definitely underrated though. 3 guns doesn't always mean it's gonna be hitting any softer than another strike. Buffs and debuffs are your friends. I've been killed a few times by a skilled FR pilot who can see me before I see them, and then jump and kill me using 3 hacks and 2 buffs when I'm otherwise engaged, or unprepared.

These craft require 2 very different pilots. The War Raider pilot requires a brawler, certain degree of finesse, daring, and a good sense of targets. The FR requires a sniper, if you will, patient and carefully hinting his prey, with good nerves and a highly tactical mind. Its a great hit-n-run craft, and is much more challenging to get right. But, you fly an FR like a WR, and you'll find yourself dying a lot. Look at your style of combat, and choose accordingly.
-Semi-Retired-

"Tall, shiny and direct. I like you already."
-Six
Old 17.11.2011, 23:21   #8
Paradox3713
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie81 View Post
...The FR requires a sniper, if you will, patient and carefully hinting his prey, with good nerves and a highly tactical mind. Its a great hit-n-run craft, and is much more challenging to get right. But, you fly an FR like a WR, and you'll find yourself dying a lot...
I have to disagree with you on this one. You can actually have a craft that can take on two War Raiders at one time depending upon their spacing and your timing. The right setup and even a War raider is at a disadvantage. Only a very skilled and tactically minded Merit Strike pilot can have a fair chance against an equiped FR. And I know just who those Merit Strike pilots are.
Old 18.11.2011, 06:48   #9
Charlie81
Forum Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox3713 View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. You can actually have a craft that can take on two War Raiders at one time depending upon their spacing and your timing. The right setup and even a War raider is at a disadvantage. Only a very skilled and tactically minded Merit Strike pilot can have a fair chance against an equiped FR. And I know just who those Merit Strike pilots are.
Ah, yes, and these well equipped, experienced command vessel pilots are few and far in between. It takes them lots of practice, getting to know their craft, it's strengths and weaknesses, adapting to various situations when flying. These pilots are the best out there. And the gear doesn't always count. A well equipped FR with a novice at the controls is still easy meat.

So, while I don't disagree, for anyone wanting to start using FR craft, I don't think they will know how to use it as effectively as they could, hence what I said.
-Semi-Retired-

"Tall, shiny and direct. I like you already."
-Six
Old 18.11.2011, 09:56   #10
Challenger1978
Junior Expert

I think people are misunderstanding my original post. I'm not disputing the FR can fight it can and very well if set up properly. What I didn't get across very well though is that in a group the FR excels at being a command and control ship. In a group to not set an FR up as a command and control ship is a waste IMO as its such a force multiplier.