Dear forum reader!

If you want to get actively involved in the Forum and participate in the discussions, or want to start your own thread or topic, you will have to log into the game first. We are looking forward to your next visit in our Forum! Please be sure to register if you do not own a game account. CLICK HERE
Go Back   Battlestar Galactica Online > Battlestar Galactica Online - Archive > Archive > Technical Issues and Bugs
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 25.09.2011, 06:20   #1
en.3040398
Forum-Noob

Ausrufezeichen Virus/Malware/Spyware in the Unity player

I downloaded the Unity web player from the link on the website and it seemed to install correctly, but when I attempted to load the game, Norton Internet Security identified two items from the Unity player as threats and stopped them. After that, I got an error message saying that there was an error in the Unity player. I need to know how to solve this problem without bringing down my security systems. I use a network that has been infected with a virus that will prevent all of my internet browsers from working. Norton Internet Security can stop it from getting on my computer, but if I take it down for more that five seconds, the virus will spread to my computer. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 25.09.2011, 09:06   #2
-Evenstar-
Forum-Noob

Location: I rescue opossums, rabbits and other wildlife and exotics at Oh Possum Wildlife & Exotics Rescue

I'd like an answer to this too. My Norton identifies 3 .dll files as a threat. And then the game doesn't load because the Unity player is screwed.

Last edited by -Evenstar- : 25.09.2011 at 09:23.
Old 25.09.2011, 11:28   #3
pyropete
Forum Baron

Norton is terrible, so I am going to assume they are false positives like norton always gives.

mono-v.dll is safe if that's what you are getting as the error.. I am assuming Norton doesn't recognize some of the .dlls the unity player uses and thinks they are viruses.

I would recommend Microsoft security essentials if you don't mind ditching norton.

But anyway, the unity player wont work because norton thinks the .dlls are viruses so basically you are getting a partial install of unity, and it will never work unless you allow the whole thing to install. Unity player is safe so you have nothing to worry about. Just click allow when you get the pop-up and you will be fine. Don't turn off your AV.

Caprica

Last edited by pyropete : 25.09.2011 at 11:34.
Old 25.09.2011, 21:46   #4
en.3040398
Forum-Noob

Let me see if I can adjust some options on Norton to allow "threats" to enter from the browser but not the network. Setting a restore point so that I can fix the system if this doesn't work.
Old 25.09.2011, 21:52   #5
en.3040398
Forum-Noob

It worked!
Old 25.09.2011, 21:54   #6
galkon777
Forum Great Master

lol norton, your as stupid as my grandmother who thinks facebook gives you virus's if you dont open it in "https" its hirlarious :P get about anything else(even macafee is better) but id recomend Malwarebytes or AVG, as a former person who tried to be a hacker, id here my comrades whine about how damn good AVG is
Kobol-Cylon
player ID:2051 level 21 wing:Genocide
other servers:
Aeliron-cylon
Scorpia-colonial
WE DON'T NEED NEW ITEMS TO SPEND MONEY ON.
WE NEED BUG FIXES!!!
Old 25.09.2011, 22:25   #7
mr_blonde
Count Count

The first things that hackers look for on a pc is Nortons and McAfee AV!

Both are absolute *moderated*!

I use Avast, MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware, and trust me, nothing gets past me!

Also, all 3 of these are completely FREE!
Wing: Red Sharks

I'm a blood thirsty General.
Smoking on a peace pipe!

Get me on skype: jayjay1393

Last edited by Carric : 25.09.2011 at 22:57. Reason: Please watch your language
Old 25.09.2011, 22:32   #8
juno1337
Forum-Greenhorn

I use Norton Internet Security, it give a virus scanner, an advanced firewall and an IDS. Having just virus scanners makes you an easy target, not a specific brand of security software. And nothing can keep out anything. If a hacker want in enough, they will make a new virus designed to get in your system. Security software is designed to make it not worth the time of the skilled hackers and keep out the less skilled ones.
Raptor FR '1337Recon' Recon
Adv. Maul 'AngelOfDawn' Combat
Old 25.09.2011, 22:36   #9
mr_blonde
Count Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by juno1337 View Post
I use Norton Internet Security, it give a virus scanner, an advanced firewall and an IDS. Having just virus scanners makes you an easy target, not a specific brand of security software. And nothing can keep out anything. If a hacker want in enough, they will make a new virus designed to get in your system. Security software is designed to make it not worth the time of the skilled hackers and keep out the less skilled ones.
Yes, and cos of it popularity in the 90's as it WAS back then the AV of choice, it has now been deemed the easiest and most frequent to get past.

C'mon even the pc shops and makers sell/give this away with new machines.

Avast does a COMPLETE scan of every single file AND you can set up for a boot scan if needed!
Wing: Red Sharks

I'm a blood thirsty General.
Smoking on a peace pipe!

Get me on skype: jayjay1393

Old 25.09.2011, 22:43   #10
juno1337
Forum-Greenhorn

You missed the main point, Avast is just a scanner. Only one little layer of security to bypass. The Internet Security version of Norton has 3 layers including the one Avast covers.

Just about any virus scanner does "a COMPLETE scan of every single file AND you can set up for a boot scan if needed!"
Raptor FR '1337Recon' Recon
Adv. Maul 'AngelOfDawn' Combat

Last edited by juno1337 : 25.09.2011 at 22:53.