Dear forum reader!

If you want to get actively involved in the Forum and participate in the discussions, or want to start your own thread or topic, you will have to log into the game first. We are looking forward to your next visit in our Forum! Please be sure to register if you do not own a game account. CLICK HERE
Go Back   Battlestar Galactica Online > Battlestar Galactica Online - Archive > Archive > Technical Issues and Bugs
FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.02.2011, 15:31   #1
spikey1998
Forum-Noob

Default Unity web Player failed to update

Dear God,

I have been trying whole day to get into the game by using all the latest Chorme, IE7, Firefox, Op with windows xp sp3 and windows 7 and tried about 73 times of uninstall unity web player, reinstall unity web player, clearing web cache. But sadly, all I got is after I clicked Launch the game button, the Unity player said failed to update. I then clicked the error details, it saids newer verison is required, but auto-update is failed, invalid auto-update file format. The install manually link only brought me back to the downloading page in the Unity website.
I searched the internet, lots of posts asking for solutions of the same problem, but not a single useful answer was given.

If someone had this problem and solved it, or technical support team has a solution, please reply my post or stick the solution to the top of the forum.

I am really sick and tired, dont want to uninstall and reinstall for the 74th time

Thank you all in advance!!
Old 08.02.2011, 17:10   #2
hawklighter
Forum-Noob

I am having the same problem with no luck in correcting it.
Old 08.02.2011, 18:03   #3
Typhon
Someday Author

Ok the fix is a little long but we'll get you guys in game soon.

First: Clear browser cache.

Second: Clear Unity cache.

Third: Uninstall Unity Browser and Clean your hard drive of all Unity files (windows has a utility to do this) This is the most important step.

Fourth: Restart your computer.

Fifth: go to this page http://unity3d.com/webplayer/ to install the Unity browser.

Then attempt to login.
Old 08.02.2011, 22:52   #4
Smoom
Forum-Noob

How do you exactly clean the hard drive of all Unity files? I don't know what windows utility to use and I would rather ask than mess up and get into more trouble.

And to be honest, I don't know anything about windows utilties lol.

Last edited by Smoom : 08.02.2011 at 22:56.
Old 09.02.2011, 22:31   #5
Nick-Nugget
Global Team Leader

Well most people here use cc-cleaner for that .
Old 10.02.2011, 00:25   #6
godshands
Forum-Noob

Unity is coming up as a virus for me.
Old 10.02.2011, 20:18   #7
technobubble
Forum-Noob

L├Ącheln A mac-specific fix: run as ADMIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post

Third: Uninstall Unity Browser and Clean your hard drive of all Unity files (windows has a utility to do this) This is the most important step.

Fifth: go to this page http://unity3d.com/webplayer/ to install the Unity browser.

Then attempt to login.
I just want to add to this, If you are using a Mac with a 'standard' account rather than an 'Admin' account (which is the best security practice on a mac) then you need to clean out all the old unity plugins and reboot, then log in TO THE ADMIN ACCOUNT and install the Unity web player AND go to BSG Online and log in via there.

I believe that the problem is that the Unity web player fails to update due to security problems when using a Standard account. It succeeds when using the Admin account.

The best news is that once it has been updated once, you can then log back in with your usual account and just play the game!

(by the way - I don't think this is Bigpoint's problem but is an issue with the Unity Web Player itself - it should REALLY pop up a standard 'admin access needed' mac dialog box so you can update the web player. I would suggest to Bigpoint that you raise this as a problem with Unity Support)
Old 10.02.2011, 21:52   #8
godshands
Forum-Noob

Ok I've done this and when I go to the 5th stage and re-download the Unity web player I still get that it is not the updated version.

I am currently running version 3.2.0.61061 Does anyone have the current version that is listed. Also now instead of telling me to manually update to the current version it only says Netscape plugin counterpart not found.

This seems broken to me.

Last edited by godshands : 10.02.2011 at 22:17.
Old 11.02.2011, 16:01   #9
LagDaddy
Forum-Noob

Default Poor tech support post.

This is a REALLY poor post. No details are given on where or how to clear unity cache. No details are given on the windows utility or what it's called or where to run it from, yet "This is the most important step".

Can you please give more detailed instructions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post

Then attempt to login.
Old 11.02.2011, 20:55   #10
NeutronStar
Padavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by godshands View Post
Unity is coming up as a virus for me.
We can guarantee that unity has no ill side effects, it is possible your anti virus it out of date

if after an update it is still detecting a virus you may wish to choose to have your anti virus to ignore unity

NeutronStar

ALWAYS POST YOUR USER ID